Skip to main content

my experience on the canon 7d

Ok so my experience working on the 7d has so far been amazing. The camera itself is a great bit of kit, its sturdy and light weight and feels very well made. Whats great is the amount of lenses you can put on the camera. I have a nice selection of primes from canon plus nikon primes and a couple of tamron lenses a 90mm macro plus a 125mm f2.2 which is old battered and looks great.

the short falls of the camera, firstly the look of it, when you take it to a shoot and you show the client they are like what that? It's a stills camera!!! it takes quite alot of convincing to win them around UNTIL they see the footage. But ill go on to that later...

The second issue is audio the in camera audio is terrible i MEAN really terrible!! but with a 2 tier system (a 2nd audio solution) using my zoom h4n the audio is great. The standard of audio from the zoom is great 4 track recording phantom power with 2 line in xlrs. Down side to the zoom, it eats batteries and is tricky to to work while attached to the camera, if you manually set up the levels you cant see them or ride them during recording so it makes life awkward.

But the biggest problem i have is the post, i do alot of work with fast turnaround times and having to convert all the h.264 files into something usable (usually apple pro res) it takes alot of time. I batch convert using mpeg stream clip which is a great free application but takes a long time 16gb's of footage takes me about 4 or 5 hours on my macbook pro which means that realistically i have to leave it over night. Then there is the audio sync, on small clips its easy but when you get into complicated multiple set ups and locations i end up using a program called pluraleyes. This is a great tool for syncing audio its amazing and its surprisingly fast but when you get to 20+ clips with 4 channels of audio its a nightmare.

Overall though you don't use a DSLR camera for video without knowing its limitations and the one thing that is worth all the hassle above is the quality of the footage. It is mind blowing, i've used so many different cameras in my life from 100k+ rigs to £1000 handy cams and the 7d blows all of them away, the DOF (depth of Field) is stunning but is not the be all and end all of the camera it is the cherry on the top. The DOF is well covered on other sites so i wont wax lyrical about how great it is. For me what is really amazing is how it handles the mundane, the standard head and shoulders interview stuff, the establishing shots and the fast motion. This camera will work in an area under any pressure (except extremely long lens with lots of movement that = jello effect!) with a bit of thought and prep you can shoot truly amazing stuff.


To finish im a big believer in the right camera for the right job, and the 7d will not be suitable for everything but overall this is a great, great, great camera and in two or three generations time canon will have all the problems overcome and whats amazing is that you can already start building your lens collection now.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2017 a year of fun ahead!

So it is nearly the end of January 2017 which is quite exciting!
I always like this period as its a chance to build on what I did right the year before and correct the things that didn't go so right!

So this year - The main plan is the create more films and shoot more stills!
I mean alot more of everything as thats what i love to do!

And spend more time looking - sometimes I can forget that its as important to look at life as it is to look through a lens at life.

but in the meantime here's our new showreel which I thought everyone might like:


MBP showreel 2016/17 from MBP LTD on Vimeo.

and here are some stills from the hassleblad - i feel im really getting to grips with this camera now, it took a few weeks to really understand what it can do and wow im blown away!





Lots more images to follow and more info on kit as ive got some pretty fun new lights and adapters which ill tell you all about over the next few weeks and months!

In the meantime happy 2017 and hope the next 11 month…

The life and death of ideas.

So its been a while... (I feel obliged to start each post like this!)


I thought it would be interesting to talk a bit about why I do what I do because exactly a year ago today I was in the North West of Australia filming chemical tank cleaning operations for an oil and gas service provider! - glamorous I know! Here's a pic to prove it! :


And then 5 years ago today I was shooting a commercial in New York (had to attach classic pic!) :


In-between these 2 incredibly different and yet strangely similar shoots I have had the honor of meeting and working with some of the most incredible people on earth. I've laughed until my sides have hurt, i've cried with friends at the horrors of what we are filming and I have been lucky enough to experience and see some of the most beautiful sites on earth.

I have been involved with over 2500 productions and along the way shot over 800,000 stills which take up ALOT of hard drive space!

I know a little about very very many things if you want …

what happens when you use a hassleblad h4d to shoot a music festival?

So a couple of weeks ago I got the privilege to run some great photographers for the new festival in Dundee called Carnival 56 and this took quite alot of my time and so i didn't get to shoot as much as I would have liked to but I was lucky enough to be allowed on stage for Rudimentals headline set and I thought it would be a good time to crack out the hassy and here are some of the pics:












Its safe to say it was alot of fun using the hassy!!!!